Welcome to Simpson Angus Ranch
The Simpson Ranch of Edmond, Okla., was among the first in the state to raise registered-Angus genetics. In 1910, J.C. Simpson and his oldest son, Francis, attended Fort Worth’s fat stock show, and returned home with 100 registered-Angus cows and four registered bulls.
At the turn of the century, West Texas was in the grip of a bad drought, forcing many cattlemen to cut their herds. J.C. and Francis, 11 years old at the time, were looking over Angus cattle owned by G.O. Creswell. His initial price was $120 for the cows and $250 for the bulls. J.C. said that if he could talk the price down to $100 and $200, he would buy them. To his surprise, Creswell took him up on the offer, and the Simpsons had the start to their Angus herd.
Ten years later, J.C. bought an Angus bull named Plowman from his friend L.R. Kershaw. Before 1919, the bull had earned 45 championships and grand championships across the United States, and won five shows in Canada. J.C. paid $40,000 for Plowman – the highest price ever paid for a bull in that area at the time. Through the years, Plowman’s progeny made the Simpson Angus Ranch one of the most recognizable herds in Oklahoma.
In the 1930s, J.C.’s nephew, Robert Simpson, took over the herd. Both he and his uncle helped other cattlemen get their start in the Angus business. Robert added many powerful animals to the herd, including General 11 of Sunbeam, Dor Maes Bardoliermere 98 and Eileenmere 939.
In 1973, Robert Simpson passed the herd on to Charles Simpson, his son. Charles still manages the ranch today and runs day-to-day operations with the current herd manager, Les Turner.